Looking for an excuse to party it up, and I mean waaaay up, this weekend? Look no further. Saturday, September 19, 2015 is Astronomy Day!
7 Spaced-Themed Ideas for Astronomy Day
- Here are Five far-out tips to take space study to the next level. Learn how to make Pluto a planet, hang out with the brains at NASA and take advantage of other NASA resources.
- Follow along on the Galaxy Ride, a science roadshow designed to get families and other curious people excited about space STEM. This 300-mile bike trip will begin on Chicago’s Museum Campus at the Adler Planetarium, make several stops along the historical Route 66 bike trail, and conclude at the St. Louis Science Center.
- Find an astronomy club near you.
- Blast into a spacey citizen science project.
- Explore the phases of the moon with Oreo Cookies. Yes, really!
- Many kids dream of being astronauts. But do they think about their dogs being astronauts? Probably not, and with good reason, but today’s a great day to read about the Russian Space Dogs (affiliate link).
- Here’s a more adult read for anyone who’s ever dreamed about a distillery in space. Apparently it’s an idea whose time has not come. Read about the unexpected and unpleasant flavor notes of space whisky.