Thanks to our fabulous panelists, sponsor Bedtime Math, and participants like you, we had a great June #STEMchat focused on recreational math, or fun math resources for families. Our lively crowd share a whole lot of great ideas as you’ll see by the dozens of math links below.
We also teach financial literacy by giving our children allowance, statistics through sports, and concepts like surface area via home improvement projects like painting.
We believe that math is as important as reading and we spend time as a family working on logic puzzles or playing games that require counting and math (old school Monopoly, anyone?).
Math Books That Put the FUN in Fundamental
- BedtimeMath by Laura Overdeck
- Ten Little Ladybugs by Melanie Gerth (board book)
- Monster Munchies by Laura NumeroffMurderous Maths by Posit Kjartan
- MathStart series by Stuart J. Murphy and others
- Grapesof Math by Greg Tang
- One Grain of Rice by Demi
- Butterflies for Kiriorigami book by Cathryn Falwell
- Sir Cumference and the FirstRound Table by Cindy Neuschwander
- Ninety-Threein my Family by Erica Perl
- ChasingVermeer by Blue Balliett
- The Puzzling World of Winston Breen and The Potato Chip Puzzles (and other puzzlers) by Eric Berlin
- TheToothpaste Millionaire by Jean Merrill
- Also see this comprehensive list of fun math books for young kids from book curator Zoobeans
- Bedtime Math main website and Bedtime Math parent blog
- Brain Pop, Math
- Math Playground
- KenKen puzzles
- NoTime for Flash Cards math activities
- Five Triangles math, free math problems
- Cool Math website, lessons and games to make math fun
- WolframAlpha for systematic knowledge
- Khan Academy, learn almost anything for free
- Mirshahi nteractive math games
- Math apps for the classroom
- The Maker Mom blog
What did we miss? Be sure to add your math favorites in the comments below!
Like The Maker Mom on Facebook. Subscribe to our monthly newsletter. Follow us on Pinterest and YouTube. Follow The Maker Mom on Google+.